By Wyn Buckley
Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man vol. 1
Story by Brian Michael Bendis; Art by Sara Pichelli
First Issue Published: September 14, 2011
Why I love it: Miles Morales is one of my favorite Spider-Man characters, and definitely my favorite Ultimate Comics character. Miles’ origin story updates the Peter “mega nerd” Parker story without being a copy that’s been draw with a black Parker. There are definite homages to the original Spider-Man, but this story takes a fresh approach at a teenager dealing with gaining super powers and being a student, with the addition of Miles being an Afro-Latino boy in a world, like our own reality, targets young men of color as a default of being suspicious and criminal.
Miles IS a hero and after Peter Parker’s death, he steps into that void with mixed reactions from the established heroes, many of whom are still in mourning and see Miles as making a mockery of the Spider-Man legacy. He more than proves himself to the Ultimates, especially to Nick Fury.
What you should read if you like this TBT:
- Spider-Man Miles has his own ongoing series, simply titled Spider-Man, with the same creative team, and now as part of the main Marvel Universe. It has been much in the same spirit as the original run [Issue #3 comes out April 6th] and one of my favorite new Post-Secret Wars titles.
- All-New All-Different Avengers Miles is now an Avenger and also appears in this book by Mark Waid.
- Ms. Marvel by G. Willow Wilson is another book I would highly recommend to fans of this book.
- The Wicked + the Divine (Image) by Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie
- Grayson (DC) by Tim Seeley and Tom King